Sunday 8 September 2013

Warblers and waders

I was up at Bundle Head shortly after sunrise on Saturday and it was evident that numbers of Chiffchaff and Blackcap had increased significantly; the birds were very active and, in the Blackcaps' case, highly skulking, so the most accurate counts I could come up with were 30+ and 20+ respectively. There were also two Willow Warblers, two Whitethroats, four Grey Wagtails overhead and my first dozen Meadow Pipits of the autumn. A bit of quality was provided in the form of this Whinchat:


After a brief stop for coffee I headed to Flow Point and met Robin there. It looks like the Little Stint has moved on but the Dunlin (total count 30) and Ringed Plovers (18) gave exceptionally close views, approaching within about 15 feet of us as we scanned the estuary optimistically (and unsuccessfully) for an Osprey. There was a fair selection of other waders with 3 Redshanks and singles of Greenshank, Whimbrel and Common Sandpiper alongside the more numerous Oystercatchers and Curlew, with at least half a dozen Sandwich Terns in the estuary and a Wheatear in the saltmarsh.

3 comments:

  1. I'm back now, so I'll be able to help with the search for Ospreys.
    Looks like you got good views of that Whinchat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the trip went well. The picture of the Whinchat was taken with my phone through my binoculars - not too bad eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was really good, but really really hard work! Nice pic, but I think you should get a proper zoom camera :P

    ReplyDelete